The Romance Reviews

The Romance Reviews

YA Insider

Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Tarot Card The Emperor and my Author Journey

The Emperor Creates Order and Stability

The Favorites of Emperor Honorius by John William Waterhouse

Like an emperor a writer must create a system to maintain security and order. The writer may have an emperor authority figure such as an editor but for the most part the writer needs to be his/her own emperor.
You will need to stay organized and follow self-made strict rules such as a daily word count, an hour of marketing or other writing matters. You must also include 'play' time for your own sanity. 

In the crazy world of publishing I remain focused by adhering to a 2000 word/day rule for a new ms, one hour/chapter of editing a completed ms, and the rest of the day for other writer stuff such as query letters, synopsis writing, workshops, research and marketing. 

My tools include my laptop, tidy desk, a dry erase board calender for the week, a dry erase board for brainstorming and editing issues, and a box with ways to show and not tell. I'm a panster so even though I outline first I end up letting the characters and their stories take over. That's okay, an emperor must delegate. 

The strict regimen will pay off when you get knighted, oops I mean get 'the call'.






No comments: