Friday, October 26, 2012
Worldwide Full Moon Wolf Howl and Why The Wolf?
Why is the wolf so ubiquitous in myth, literature, and film? And why howl like a wolf?
1. Prehistoric Relationship of Man and Wolf—Powerful respect and reverence prevailed at the birth of the relationship of humans and wolves.
2. We admired their hunting skills and social pack behavior, signs of intelligence.
3. They are our teacher and companion in the wilderness. Today our dog is our ‘wolfish’ companion.
4. The wolf is universally regarded as creatures of prophesy and omens, and have connections between the worlds of the living and the dead. The wolf is affiliated worldwide with magic, medicine, healing and transformation
5. In Native American culture the wolf is an important archetype. They had great respect for the wolf and often offered prayers before a hunt to the wolf spirit. Wolf spirit was also powerful medicine for shamans who traveled to the world of the dead. In Europe just as in the New World, myths and stories about wolves are universal. Early Europeans Respected the Wolf as Protector and Teacher. From the Steppes of Asia Minor to the British Isles the Wolf was mighty totemic protector. Hecate, an Ancient Greek deity was worshipped as a goddess with three wolf heads. Rome was founded by Romulus and Remus who were fed by the she-wolf, Alcala/Lupa.
6. Ancient Celts respected the wolf as a totem and often as a spirit guide. In Ireland, King Cormac was nursed by a she-wolf. In the Viking world to be a member of the Wolf Clan, Ulfhednar was the greatest honor. Viking warriors believed that if they died a heroic death they would be turned into magnificent wolves. Vikings also believed wolves chasing and devouring the sun and moon caused eclipses. Two wolves accompanied Odin, ruler of the Norse Gods. He created the wolves Freki (Hungry One) and Geri (Greedy One) as loyal companions.
T The wolf spirit reminds of us of our beginnings and bond to nature and the wild spirit/teacher within us.
How to howl like you mean it?
Watch this great video I found on YouTube and listen to five minutes of inspiring wolves howling.