The Romance Reviews

The Romance Reviews

YA Insider

Sunday, April 3, 2011

Off To RT Convention and up dates

 This week I fly to  Los Angeles, CA for the Romantic Times Convention. Yes, of course I'll be on a dirigible not an airplane. On the left is my picture  in my proper explorer attire for the Dallas All Con steampunk convention I attended.

At RT I will be attending fun workshops and picking up freebies. On Friday I will be presenting on How to be a Dialogue Diva Panel. We each get to discuss some aspect of genre dialogue. I get to discuss dialogue in steampunk, paranormal and fantasy novels.




 Here is an example of what we mean by dialogue:

"You talkin’ to me? (Taxi Driver, 1976)

It's no accident that some of the most memorable moments in movies come from dialogue. Who can forget “Go ahead, make my day,” “Beam me up, Scotty,” “Frankly, my dear, I don’t give a damn” and so many more? Just as in the movies, dialogue in your book must do much of the storytelling while adding pace and drama to your work. Promising plenty of fun and laughter, this session explores the five key jobs dialogue has to do, looks at the starring roles your hero and heroine should play and how to keep your stars happy with the lines you write for them. Panelists: Eileen Dreyer aka Kathleen Korbel,  Valerie Parv, Eva Gordon and Mary Louise Schwartz (scriptwriter and Hollywood literary agent specializing in books into film)

My  character from my werewolf novels would say:

"You growling at me?"




If you want to learn more please follow this link:


www.rtconvention.com


On my return I will have an interesting line up of guests for my Bestiary Parlor interviews. Stay tuned for more up dates in a couple weeks.

3 comments:

Shoshana said...

I live in Dallas and totally missed that convention. Sucks!

Mary Vogel Lozinak said...

I love your blog! pink

Eva Gordon said...

Thank you Mary. I love your 'steam' picture.